ch-ch-ch-ch-changes

what used to be the times and travels of beth in Thailand has evolved. the blog will develop into a more random gathering of thoughts, interests, causes, experiences.. there are many possibilities as the World is large and Beth hopes to make it a better place. one little letter at a time.

Friday, January 29, 2010

Sa-mile

The one thing I love most about this wonderful country is when I'm walking down the street, alone, minding my own thoughts and observations and a stranger walks by making sure to catch my eyes and plant a big smile on my face by way of grinning first. Meaning, I am walking by, not noticing much, someone passes, takes the time to catch eye contact and gives a BIG HUGE smile in the process. A sincere one. Nothing crazy about it.

The Thailand smile thing is just the best part of being here for me. There is nothing better than the thought "awww, she didn't have to do that! that's so nice!!" I think it is one of the greatest gifts that I get multiple times a day while I am here. Thank you Thailand. I love that about you!!! I'm really going to miss it... America... we've got a New Year's Resolution. I don't care that it's January 29th. pSH.

Now, in implementing this new resolution, you have to put away your pride. You have to bundle up your fear of rejection, false judgements (which will be made about you) and physical harm. It may take some guts and plenty of practice, but I think we can get it... if only we can get out of our heads and own self importance for three seconds (at a time). I think we can do it. Start small, just the eye contact at first... then move to the corners of the mouth turned up slightly... if things go your way (usually people think you're crazy and look away or mutter 'pyscho' under their breath, trust me)... go for the Fully Monty of Teeth smile. Give it away. We don't have the best teeth in the world for nothing, show them off! You floss regularly for a reason, now show it! And always remember: even if they don't smile back, they may be thinking "awww. she didn't have to do that!" They may just pay it forward.

And wouldn't that be delightful? (if you are thinking the exact opposite of what i want you to, perhaps something like 'hippy tree hugger who does she think she is??? or tssss, yea, your life is good over there, dream on. or.... psycho!!" ... you've already lost. out with the negative toxic thoughts... in with the sa-miiiiile. sabai sabai. it's all gouda. and hopefully brie.) TRULY!!

I'm beginning to really miss Thailand already, and I haven't even left.

Started looking for flights back to Minnie. And isn't it good?!

Love. You. All.
Everyday. :)

PS. I promised my beautiful friend Nicolle I would post more photos on flickr. Stay tuned, they're be mountains. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment